A great question and the first question we will ask you.
Without having defined objectives for your site you may end up with a nice looking site, BUT if it does not work for your customers or your business, it won’t be effective.
There are various reasons for your business having a web site, including:
- To generate increased sales – either directly through a site that enables sales or as a marketing site that will enable prospective customers to find & interact with you .
- Providing updated information to existing clients.
- Serving as a reference point for your industry.
- Providing a forum for feedback from your existing and potential clients.
- Creating a higher profile for your business in the community.
- Raising public awareness.
Ultimately it should come back to £'s - is it an asset or just a necessary cost ? You will generate value through:
- Direct Sales : Selling Services / Products, Providing Membership or subscriptions, Advertising, Events etc.
- Indirect Sales : Leads Generated, Attracting visits to a shop or attraction etc.
- Reducing costs : Enabling self service, Doing things quicker, Reducing the cost of order processing etc.
Without understanding the benefits you seek to get from having a digital presence it is difficult to ensure you are being effective!